As a Canadian citizen, am I legally authorized to work in the US?

I am a Canadian citizen. Am I legally authorized to work in the US?

Employment Questions


Immigration Questions

in AB Posted 3 years, 10 months ago

3 Responses

Profile Picture of Ted Farrell
Ted Farrell

Attorney at Ted Farrell Immigration Law

As a Canadian citizen you are not legally authorized to work in the US. However, if you have a college degree it is not difficult to obtain authorization. You can apply for TN (Treaty National) status at the border if you have an offer of employment from a US employer, have a baccalaureate degree or higher, will be working in the area of your degree, and the employment is on the list of professional disciplines recognized by the NAFTA treaty. The US Government fee is $50. The status is good for three years, and may be renewed indefinitely every three years.

Share this Answer
Profile Picture of Arif Al-Judi

Arif Al-Judi

Thnx. Is experience required to obtain the visa

Need legal help?

We make it simple and affordable to create documents and connect with a lawyer.

Get started